In a world of convenience, plastic waste and pollution have never posed a greater threat. While the statistics are staggering, small changes in our everyday lives can have a big impact. This month, join us as we refuse single-use plastic and choose reusable goods instead!
CHECK THE FACTS
- In one week, we go through 10 billion plastic bags worldwide.
- In the USA, an average of 2.5 million plastic bottles are used every hour and over 500 million straws are used daily.
- Only 9% of all plastics ever made have been recycled.
- Scientists predict there will be more tons of plastic than tons of fish by 2050.
- Every bit of plastic ever made still exists––in the first 10 years of this century, the world economy produced more plastic than the entire 1900's.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Remember the 3 R's: Refuse, reduce, and reuse. Since the recycling rate of plastic is low, it's important to use as little of it as possible.
- Educate yourself on the issues of plastic waste and learn more about plastic-free living.
- Say no to single-use plastics and replace them with reusable alternatives. See some of our favorites below!
- Plastic straws use a reusable glass straw. We love Simply Straws BPA-free straws!
- Plastic sandwich bags or food wrap, use Bee's Wrap to keep your food fresh and cut down on waste. Made of beeswax, organic cotton, organic jojoba oil and tree resin, these wraps are both food and environment-friendly!
- Plastic shopping bags, take a reusable tote or bag with you. Our SEED Apolis Market bag can hold 135 lbs. of groceries or goods!
- Plastic water bottles, stay hydrated with an alternative water bottle like Klean Kanteen's Insulated Bottle. Made with food-grade stainless steel, this highly durable bottle will keep your water cold for hours on end.
In case it's not obvious, we're pretty big fans of Mama Earth. While being committed to protecting the world around us isn't always convenient, it's rewarding. We're excited to challenge ourselves during #PlasticFreeJuly and hope you'll join us! Documenting your efforts? Tag us for a chance to be featured!